5.27.2010

Picking color schemes

I got an e-mail asking me how I decide on what colors I want to use in each room. For me, my process is kind of scattered. I usually try to work with items that I already have, and incorporate a few new things to make a cohesive look. For instance, in my office, I knew I already owned several yellow accessories, but I wanted to add a new element - and so decided to paint the room green; and my color palette was born.

I think the easiest way to pick color is to find something you love such as a pillow or piece of art, and build the room around those colors. Here are a few examples:

color1
Poster: "Canal Street, New Orleans" by Matte Stephens

Here's a room with a similar color scheme.
orange blue green

color2
Pillow: DwellStudio Sevilla Pillow

green and gray
Jonathan Adler

green and gray
Amanda Nisbet

Obviously color inspiration can come from anywhere, not just items that are already room decor. Like this stationary for instance.
color3
Stationary: Mae Mae Paperie



pink and orange
House Beautiful

1 comment:

  1. I like your schemes. I hope you post more.

    ReplyDelete