4.15.2011

Before and After - Alex's Room

Recently, my mom and I helped with my little cousin Alex's room. He is 15 and needed something a little more grown up. He's also a huge fan of University of Utah sports - so he requested the room be themed around that; including a red wall! I'm usually not a fan of red walls, but I think for Alex's room it worked. It's a fun addition to this teenage boy room.

Here's the original room board I put together. We veered a little from this plan, which usually happens, but it gave us a good blueprint.
Alex - Room Board

We did this whole room for under $300. My Aunt Chris did most the work - removing wallpaper, painting the room, and painting the furniture. Once she had everything prepped, we spent a full Saturday finishing the room. The morning was spent at IKEA picking up the last essentials, and the rest of the day we organized and rearranged, hung artwork, and begrudgingly put together our IKEA purchases.

BEFORE
alex BEFORE

AFTER
alex after 9

BEFORE - Desk
alex BEFORE 4

AFTER - Desk
Alex after 2
Before Alex's desk held his TV for videogames, and there wasn't a lot of surface left for anything else. Chris painted the desk drawers, and we cleared it off so he can use it for homework now.

We purchased a $12 Ikea LACK table to provide a new spot for his TV. We also put a bin underneath to hold all his videogame systems.
Alex after6

BEFORE - Closet
Alex BEFORE 2

AFTER - Closet
Alex after4
Alex purged a lot of his clothes he no longer wears, and we brought in a shoe organizer, a drawer system, and some bins. Much better!

Alex after5
We added a shelf above his bed for all his trophies.

We placed a chair here as a place for him to sit to play his videogames. For the University of Utah artwall, we found all the images online and printed them on a color printer. The frames are old ones that we painted black.
Alex after 3

Alex after1

So there you go, a teenage boy room on an extreme budget!

13 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! You did a wonderful job. I can;t wait to buy a house and have you come help me one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your Mom are extremely talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love what you did with the room. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this room turned out fabulous for a thrifty budget. My daughter has been asking for a makeover on her room...I may be calling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this, Alex loves his room so much. He is more concerned about it being neat now, which is a huge plus. We also got some underbed boxes for extra storage and he has plenty. Erica and Michelle did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! what a wonderful room for a teenage boy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. Could you not find the right curtains as shown on the board? I noticed in the after pics that the curtain is not the same one planned on....

    Please e-mail me about doing a room board for my daughter. rebecca (at) irvinemail (dot) org

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca, we could find those curtains but we liked the other black-on-black ones for about 20 dollars cheaper. :) My son liked them better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- nice work! Looks much more appropriate and cool for a 15-year-old. I really like the curtains you ended up with ... a good veer from the original plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!Student accommodation Leeds

    ReplyDelete